The formation of the Monte dei Paschi di Siena Bank’s art collection is not only the result of an organic project formulated relatively recently, but also the product of layers of history, of commissions and purchases that slowly, over time, took on the shape of an actual collection. The first art works were created especially to give luster and fame to the institution at the time of its foundation and on the occasion of important dates in its history. In 1481, to celebrate the founding of the Monte di Pietà a few years earlier in 1472, Benvenuto di Giovanni del Guasta was commissioned to paint a fresco of Our Lady of Mercy in a room in Palazzo Salimbeni. Subsequently, other important events in the history of the bank were marked by works commissioned from the leading artists of the city, such as The Dead Christ by Lorenzo Rustici, the Deposition of Christ from the Cross by Arcangelo Salimbeni, and Jacob’s Sons by Francesco Vanni. In 1644, to decorate the entrance to the Chancellery, Raffaello Vanni was asked to paint a Virgin and Child. The spirit of patronage was only renewed in our own day, with the canvas by Valerio Adami of an allegory of the origins of Monte dei Paschi, reproduced also in a larger size for the auditorium of the new Centro Direzionale. The bank’s commitment to recovering and enhancing the vast artistic heritage of the city and province of Siena, has focused on enlarging the collection, in an effort to give more substantial representation to the Sienese school of art. Thus in the course of the most recent decades, an important collection of paintings, sculptures, and interior furnishings of the Sienese school, from the fourteenth to the nineteenth centuries, has taken its place alongside the city’s most famous museums.